AACI-SITS: Association of Acoustic Consultants of Ireland- Sound Insulation Testing Scheme.
The Irish Building Regulations Technical Guidance Document E, 2014 (under the Building Control Acts 1990 to 2014) is very clear on the requirements in relation to tester competency. The requirements clearly state that it is essential that:
(1) Persons are competent in the measurement of sound insulation in buildings.
(2) Possess sufficient training, experience and knowledge appropriate to the nature of the work he or she is required to perform having particular regard to the size and the complexity of such works.
The guidance also suggests that tests are carried out by a person certified by an independent third party to carry out this work, which is believed to offer a way of ensuring that such certification can be relied upon. The design and construction of buildings is regulated in Ireland under the Building Control Acts 1990 to 2014, which provides a legislative context with respect to TGD-E, 2014. While circulars are occasionally issued by the Department, TGD-E,2014 (and the contents within) remain the ONLY overriding binding document from a legislative standpoint.
In response to the requirements stipulated in TGD-E,2014, the Association of Acoustic Consultants of Ireland has put in place a formal industry-led sound insulation testing scheme for its members. The scheme is restricted to noise consultants who hold formal qualifications in acoustics, are full members of the Institute of Acoustics, who have been verified by a third party and who can provide engineers, architects, contractors and building designers with acoustic consultancy design advice.
The AACI-SITS (Sound Insulation Testing Scheme) provides the highest standard of sound insulation testing and acoustic design advice in the Republic of Ireland.
While TGD-E 2014 is clear on the requirements in relation to tester competency, it does not specify the certification body for those who wish to undertake sound insulation testing.
In order to fully comply with the intention of the TGD-E 2014 guidance, AACI-SITS have undertaken training for members in sound insulation testing with specific emphasis on the methodology outlined in TGD-E 2014. This fully complies with both the letter and the spirit of TGD-E 2014 with regard to the educational, training and experience requirements.
It is noted that all members are full members of the Institute of Acoustics and are bound to the codes of conduct with regard to professional competence and integrity where it states that members shall avoid undertaking work which is beyond their capabilities.
All members of the AACI-SITS upgrade their professional knowledge and maintain adequate awareness of technological developments, procedures, standards, laws and statutory regulations which are relevant to their field either by involvement in the Institute’s Continuing Professional Development Scheme or by any other appropriate means.
The person (or persons) responsible for technical aspects of sound testing must comply with the definition of a ‘competent person’. All competent persons must possess a combination of technical knowledge, experience and skills, and must be able to demonstrate, as a minimum:
An in-depth comprehension and experience of the relevant acoustical standards such as:
- EN ISO 16283-1:2014 Field measurement of sound insulation in buildings and of building elements — Part 1: airborne sound insulation.
- EN ISO 16283-2:2018 Field Measurement of Impact Sound Insulation of Floors — Part 2: Impact sound insulation.
Such competent persons need to demonstrate both practical and theoretical competence and should participate in relevant continuing professional development. Competence may be demonstrated through reference to an appropriate qualification and/or professional membership of a recognised acoustic organisation, or other similar 3rd. party recognised accreditation scheme with specialist skills in sound testing.
Competent Members of the AACI-SITS, as defined in TGD-E,2014 (Building Control Acts 1990 to 2014):
- Ted Dalton MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, Dalton Acoustics. Completion of the Advanced Sound Insulation Testing course at SRL (UK).
- Diarmuid Keaney MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, ICAN Acoustics. Completion of the Advanced Sound Insulation Testing course at SRL (UK).
- Dermot Moloney, MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, Moloney & Associates. Completion of the Advanced Sound Insulation Testing course at SRL (UK)
- Derek McCreanor, MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, Enhance Acoustics. Completion of the Advanced Sound Insulation Testing course at SRL (UK)