AACI-SITS: Association of Acoustic Consultants of Ireland- Sound Insulation Testing Scheme
As a follow on to the formation of the ACASITI, the Association of Acoustic Consultants of Ireland has put in place a formal industry led sound insulation testing scheme for its members. The scheme is restricted to noise consultants who hold formal qualifications in acoustics, are full members of the Institute of Acoustics, who have been verified by a third party and who can provide engineers, architects, contractors and building designers with acoustic consultancy design advice.
The AACI-SITS (Sound Insulation Testing Scheme) provides the highest standard of sound insulation testing and acoustic design advice in the Republic of Ireland.
While TGD-E 2014 is clear on the requirements in relation to tester competency, it does not specify the certification body for those who wish to undertake sound insulation testing.
In order to fully comply with the intention of the TGD-E 2014 guidance, AACI-SITS have undertaken training for members in sound insulation testing with specific emphasis on the methodology outlined in TGD-E 2014. This fully complies with both the letter and the spirit of TGD-E 2014 with regard to the educational, training and experience requirements.
It is noted that all members are full members of the Institute of Acoustics and are bound to the codes of conduct with regard to professional competence and integrity where it states that members shall avoid undertaking work which is beyond their capabilities.
All members of the AACI-SITS upgrade their professional knowledge and maintain adequate awareness of technological developments, procedures, standards, laws and statutory regulations which are relevant to their field either by involvement in the Institute’s Continuing Professional Development Scheme or by any other appropriate means.
The person (or persons) responsible for technical aspects of sound testing must comply with the definition of a ‘competent person’. All competent persons must possess a combination of technical knowledge, experience and skills, and must be able to demonstrate, as a minimum:
An in-depth comprehension and experience of the relevant acoustical standards such as:
- EN ISO 16283-1 :2014 Field measurement of sound insulation in buildings and of building elements — Part 1: Airborne sound insulation.
- EN ISO 16283-2 :2015 Field Measurement of Impact Sound Insulation of Floors — Part 2: Impact sound insulation.
Such competent persons need to demonstrate both practical and theoretical competence and should participate in relevant continual professional development. Competence may be demonstrated through reference to an appropriate qualification and/or professional membership of a recognised acoustic organisation, or other similar 3rd. party recognised accreditation scheme with specialist skills in sound testing.
Competent Members of the AACI-SITS
- Ted Dalton MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, Dalton Acoustics. Completion of the Advance Sound Insulation Testing course at SRL (UK).
- Diarmuid Keaney MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, ICAN Acoustics. Completion of the Advance Sound Insulation Testing course at SRL (UK).
- Dermot Moloney, MIOA, M.Sc. in Applied Acoustics, Dip in Acoustics and Noise Ctrl, Moloney & Associates.